Round beginning - 36 candidates remain
31294 votes, 10432 quota
4314 "Sion Kumitomo"
1915 "Sugar Kyle"
1692 "Steve Ronuken"
1521 "Ali Aras"
1453 "Matias Otero"
1418 "Mike Azariah"
970 "Major JSilva"
959 "DJ FunkyBacon"
857 "Mangala Solaris"
853 "Psychotic Monk"
828 "Asayanami Dei"
775 "Xander Phoena"
691 "Aram Kachaturian"
653 "James Arget"
645 "Gorski Car"
528 "Jayne Fillon"
518 "Proclus Diadochu"
437 "Alner Greyl"
355 "Awoxing Pizza-Spymaster McBlushooter"
324 "Angry Mustache"
266 "Einear Lightfingers"
235 "Azami Nevinyrall"
190 "Psianh Auvyander"
162 "commander aze"
141 "Karen Galeo"
93 "Ramirez Dora"
88 "Karma Bad"
Elimination: "Karma Bad" with 88.000000 votes
I bolded the candidates who went on to become CSMs.
Some pretty interesting things emerge.
Condolences to Psychotic Monk and Asayanami Dei who came 13th and 14th respectively in the first round but didn't make the final 14.
Well done to the CFC for ordering their ballots efficiently enough that they got guys in despite their polling 15th and 16th in the first round.
I suspect what's happening here is the power of the full list of 14 names. For people who didn't simply copy a list 14 names is quite hard. I picked a bunch of people I liked but that only got me to 8. Then it was just people I dislike or people I'd never heard of. I think a lot of people simply didn't fill out the 14 and that's possibly part of why Mynnna and Xander got in simply by being on many people's ballots while not first choice.
So the low turnout (31k votes out of "500 000 subscribers" - probably including Serenity players who would not be eligible to vote) may actually be even lower once things get down to to the last elimination round.
In fact here is the last elimination round.
Round beginning - 3 candidates remain
18936 votes, 6313 quota
7784 "Ali Aras"
6055 "Sion Kumitomo"
5097 "Steve Ronuken"
Elected: "Ali Aras"
Transfer from "Ali Aras":
Votes: 7784.000000, Factor: 0.188977, Excess: 1471.000000
726.240108 votes to Exhausted
587.719681 votes to "Steve Ronuken"
157.040211 votes to "Sion Kumitomo"
Elimination: "Steve Ronuken" with 5684.719681 votes
So only 18936 people voted for a full set of 14 candidates.
Also interesting is that Ali Aras came 6th in the first round and finished top. While she wasn't top on as many people's lists as other candidates she did manage to appear on most voters' lists.
Some conclusions I have:
- it's dangerous to assume that views of the CSM precisely represent the Eve player base. We've had ongoing disputes for some time between one end of the playerbase spectrum that can be characterised as extrovert/event-attending/pvpers and introvert carebear soloers
- only 31k/500k accounts voted and many of those, especially the nullsec and wormhole guys will be multiple accounts. That's about 6%.
- one could argue that it's not right to count the Serenity server as those players are not enfranchised. I don't agree. They are still Eve players, CSM influence on how Eve develops still shapes their game. It's probably a really bad thing that those players are disenfranchised, if there are major cultural and attitudinal differences between that small subsection of the Eve playerbase that is vocal and Western and the Chinese players.
- 40% of voters didn't complete the full ballot (including me). A significant proportion of those who did were probably copying someone else's lists. This means a small number of people, those who make the list, are having a very large impact on the election results.
- Steve Ronuken who just missed out last year did amazingly well. This echoes Jester who failed 3 years ago then got a sackful of votes last year. Standing for the CSM even if you don't get in seems to help future campaigns.
- Mynnna got a surprisingly low number of votes. One expected his Goon constituency to vote for Sion first Mynnna second as per instructions but he went from top last year to barely scraping in this time round.