Thursday 5 January 2012

SWTOR: Banned from the official forums?

Update: As Spinks surmised it was a glitch in their forum software. It's now working fine for me. Still, they're not making a great impression.

Original post:

I'm getting this when I try to post:

Stabs**, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation. 


The only possible one of those that might apply is "the administrator may have disabled your account".

Now I really don't know whether they've banned me for saying I'm unhappy about the lack of LFD tool and will probably unsub or if their forums are simply broken during maintenance and the wrong message is coming up but they seem to be doing their honest best to shoo me away.

Or possibly it's because I canceled although it seems a bit mean to shut people out who are still paid up players but who aren't willing to allow EA infinite access to our personal money.

8 comments:

  1. My bet is on it being their forum software playing up and it'll have sorted itself out if you reload a few times or go back later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup you nailed it, working now.

    You know I never get why MMOs often tie forum functionality to game functionality so that when the game's not working the forum stops working. The one time you can expect people to want to browse the forums is when the game's down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe they see it as a welcome advantage? So that the forums don't explode with thousands of posts that say "OMG THE SERVERS ARE DOWN WHEN WILL THEY BE BACK YOU SUCK".

    At least that's one of the few reasons I can think of. Plus unified databases, of course. Not sure that's a _good_ reason, but a convenient one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you're right Flosch.

    Incidentally I checked them late last night and again got this error message but then refreshed it and it started working. I guess they're just buggy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unified databases!? It would be pretty crazy to link the game databases to the forum ones, hard to believe they would do that for any number of reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *shrug* I don't know, I'm not a database admin. But if you don't have forum accounts that are separate from your game accounts, I would assume there's no compelling reason to have separate user credentials databases. Not from a security point of view, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's certainly been noticeable over the years with many MMO companies that if the game is down the forums also sometimes go down. I've seen it with Blizzard, CCP, SOE, Turbine, Funcom and now Bioware.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information, is very helpful my friend. Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have. Keep up the good work you are doing here.
    forum internet marketing

    ReplyDelete